**Before we get started I want to point out that this month I'm participating in what we call in the industry a "blog circle" You are going to want to hang around until the end to see what I'm talking about. But until then lets get started . . .
Not everyone feels comfortable in front of a camera and this generally leads to forced smiles, something that can easily ruin a really good family photo.
If you have recently booked a photo session or plan on booking one sometime in the future, here are some top things you may hear from me to get everyone to smile as authentically as possible.
1. Get them laughing. Get someone to tell a great joke or a funny story to get everyone laughing, which will produce some real genuine smiles.
2. Look at each other. Sometimes all it takes is looking at the people you love to achieve the perfect smiles for your next family photo.
3. Forget the cheese. Instead of using the classic ‘say cheese’ line, incorporate something unexpected into the sentence to elicit smiles and laughter. Using the word ‘money’ instead of cheese also produces a more natural smile. Or sometimes I'll just have a conversation about something that makes you happy.
4. Take a breath. If you have people who are really nervous, get them to close their eyes, take a deep breath and smile as they open their eyes again.
5. Give them a compliment. A compliment makes anyone feel good so why not give each other a genuine compliment to produce some natural smiles.
6. Fake your laughter. While it may feel strange at first, getting everyone to fake a laugh leads to some of the best smiles. FYI I do this with my kids ALL. THE. TIME.
7. Be silly. Get everyone to stick their tongues out or wiggle their bums for a fun reaction. Usually this is when I say "tickle fight!"
8. Happy thoughts. Get everyone to think of something that really makes them happy.
9. Relax those facial muscles. Very often a forced smile is due to tense facial muscles. To prevent this, get everyone to scrunch up their faces and relax them to achieve a natural smile.
Overall, make this a fun day out for everyone to set the right mood and the genuine, happy smiles will follow.
Michele also specializes in Fresh 48 photography sessions in local Minnesota Birth Centers and hospitals. To book your custom Fresh 48 Session with Michele be sure to send her e-mail with your due date to get on the calendar. BOOK NOW