Family photo sessions are great fun but deciding what everyone should wear so that they’re comfortable and happy and that your photos look great can be a whole other mission.
If you’re unsure about what you should be wearing to your session, here are the types outfits that you should avoid at all costs:
- Matchy-matchy. The days of wearing matching outfits are long gone. There are many other ways to still coordinate your outfits without them all being the same. Incorporating various shades of the same color without it being the exact same item of clothing is one such option.
- Bold patterns and logos. Wearing clothing that has logos or boasts bold patterns is one way to distract from everyone in the family photo. While patterns are fine, make sure that they’re subtle. It’s best to stay away from logos and characters completely.
- Short sleeves and pants. Family portraits always look better when you aren’t exposing too much skin as this once again distracts from people’s faces in the photo. Depending on the style of your shoot and the location, try and keep exposed areas to a minimum and try to avoid shorts.
- Bold accessories. While it’s perfectly fine to wear accessories to a family photo session, make sure that they’re subtle and won’t distract from the main subjects in the photo. Chandelier earrings and large, heavy necklaces are always a no-no.
- Uncomfortable clothing. When you’re uncomfortable in your clothing, it shows up in your photos. While you may love the new dress you bought or your son looks super cute in his new hat, if you aren’t 100% comfortable and fidgeting, it’s best to choose something else.
- Neon. Pops of color are great but neon clothing will almost always affect your skin tone and your photos so it’s best to stay away from these types of items completely.
- All white or black. When you wear an outfit that is all white or all black, you tend to lose a lot of detail in the photo that clothing would normally bring in. Wearing neutral tones is fine but try to mix it up with a different color.
Most importantly, to avoid any additional stress during the days leading up to your family photo session, plan ahead so that everyone can fully enjoy themselves on the day.
*Want some tips to make your photo session amazing? Of course you do! My talented friend, an Albuquerque Newborn Photographer, is sharing some tips on her blog post. Go over there and check it out!
Michele also specializes in Fresh 48 photography sessions in local Minnesota Birth Centers and hospitals. To book your custom Fresh 48 Session with Michele be sure to send her e-mail with your due date to get on the calendar. BOOK NOW