Together forever, never apart. Maybe in distance but never by heart.
There’s nothing quite like bringing your family members together after being apart for a lengthy period of time. Family reunions are all about catching up, telling stories, spending quality time together and, of course, the photos.
If you will be hiring a professional photographer to capture your family reunion, here are a few tips to help you get some amazing shots.
- Prepare everyone in advance. Not everyone is keen on the idea of family photos to begin with, which means they probably won’t appreciate being surprised on the day. Prepare your family members by telling them that there will be a photographer present at the reunion and that they have nothing to worry about. If you have younger children who will be in the photos, a small incentive might make it easier for them to cooperate.
- Decide on the type of photos you want to take. Before you start searching for a photographer, have an idea of the type of photos you want to take. Would you prefer formal portraits or do you want a photographer who will simply hang around at a family barbecue to take photos of everyone having fun?
- Coordinate your outfits. Yes, the idea of coordinating outfits may sound like a daunting one but it doesn’t have to be. There’s no need to get everyone to show up in white t-shirts and blue jeans in order to take great photos but it’s advisable to stick to a certain color theme and to stay away from bold patterns, logos and statement jewelry. Basically, give everyone some general guidelines that are easy to follow.
- Choose the right location. While you might have the perfect location in mind for your upcoming family reunion, you will need to decide whether it will work for photos too. For example, a busy park might make it difficult for your photographer to get shots without strangers in them so keep your photos in mind when deciding on a location.
- Be yourselves. Even though you may opt to take several posed photos, the best part about a family reunion photo session is being able to capture everyone being themselves. Have a laugh with your sister, get grandpa to read a story to the little ones or get your daughter to help you in the kitchen. These candid shots make for the best photos.
- Choose the right photographer. Choosing a photographer based on location and price alone is not the right approach. It’s far more important to review their portfolios to ensure that they can take the shots you want.
Deciding to hire a professional photographer for your family reunion will be one of the best investments you can make.
Ready to Hire a Professional for your Extended Family session?
Michele is a lifestyle portrait photographer in North Oaks, Minnesota. She photographs children and their families both on location and in her studio in Northeast Minneapolis. mQn Photography is the premier family photographer in the Twin Cities. To schedule your next session with Michele please visit mQn Photography | Twin Cities Photographer or e-mail email@example.com
Michele also specializes in Fresh 48 photography sessions in local Minnesota Birth Centers and hospitals. To book your custom Fresh 48 Session with Michele be sure to send her e-mail with your due date to get on the calendar. BOOK NOW